Get to discover great waves with other gay surfers in Nicaragua! This November a gay member of the Gay Surfers Network is organizing a surf trip to Nicaragua. The trip includes a surf coach, 5 night stay in hotel, daily breakfast and dinner, one group yoga class and a massage (November 24 – 29)
An offshore wind sculpts the waves into perfect peaks as they break onto beautiful beaches and peel away from secluded points. The water’s warm, the scene un-crowded and there are waves to suit all levels and for every style of surfing.
Our 6-day Gay Surf Trip gives you step-by-step personalized instruction, quality surf equipment and no-hassle access to the best breaks. You’ll enjoy beautiful accommodations at your historic beachfront hotel and have every detail of your trip taken care of.
When traveling in our company we’ll take you to the right beach at the right time for the waves. Our surf instructors will help you choose a board to suit your style of surfing, orientate you on the ocean floor and provide you with the guidance you need to make you to feel comfortable in the water.
We pride ourselves in providing small-group, personalized surf lessons, whether you’re an absolute beginner or an advanced surfer. You’ll also have the peace of mind knowing that everyone on the trip is also a gay surfer.
There’s no waiting around. No hassle. Just the sand, the sea – and yes, the surf! That’s what you’ll get: the surf of a lifetime.
The Destination: San Juan del Sur
We can’t wait to introduce you to San Juan del Sur – one of the most authentic, relaxed and sunniest spots around. We want you to experience this friendly fishing village with its bay framed sunsets, gorgeous local beaches and dramatic ocean landscapes.
We have carefully planned the itinerary of the Gay Surf Trip to allow you to experience the very best of the culture, diversity, scenery, food and friendliness of Nicaragua.
When you arrive your airport transfer will take you to the beautiful Hotel Victoriano located on San Juan del Sur’s beachfront. We’ll meet you here to provide you with a thorough orientation. We’ll want to spend some time going over your equipment needs, surfing experience and desires. We’ve set out a ‘typical’ day below to give you an idea of what to expect, but we tailor the schedule to fit the needs of the participants on each trip.
- You’ll wake up in your historic, landmark hotel and get your first glimpse of the ocean.
- Over breakfast and a cup of rich Nicaraguan coffee your dedicated guide will introduce you to the breaks we’ll be visiting over the course of the day.
- Then it’s time to catch some waves. A typical surf session will combine surfing theory, an orientation about the ocean floor and line-up, followed by direct hands-on surf instruction in the water. We typically have one expert surf instructor for every 2 surfers to make sure you receive personalized lessons to suit your style and level of surfing.
- On some days, depending on the tides, we’ll suggest fish tacos at the beach to make the best use of the surfing time.
- As the sun starts to set, we’ll return to our lovely hotel to relax, watch the spectacular light show over the ocean and discuss the day’s adventures with your fellow surfers.
- When hunger calls a little later in the evening we’ll introduce you to a range of dining options – from a seafood platter right on the sand to trendy eateries in the heart of town.
- And if you’re muscles need some love after all the paddling you’ve done, you can enjoy a restorative deep tissue massage or a yoga session.
- 6 day, 5 night stay at the luxury Hotel Victoriano, with daily breakfast included
- 4 trips to the surf breaks and surfboard rental for 5 days.
- 4 days of personalized, small group lessons
- Dinner every night with two drinks each
- 1 massage session
- 1 yoga class
- Roundtrip transportation from Managua airport
- 1 full time guide to help you all the travel planning.
Single Person Occupancy Price – $1,647
Double Person Occupancy Price – $1,222
*Price does not include flights or lunches.
*Minimum 4 person booking.
Q: Is your instruction for all levels of surfing – from beginner to advanced?
A: The surf instruction is for every level of surfer from beginner to advanced. We are able to offer this flexibility because of our low instructor-to-surfer ratio and the individual attention that this allows. At the beginning of the trip we will jointly establish a set of developmental goals and work out a coaching program designed to help you to achieve them. Our instructors will surf alongside you in the water giving you tips and encouragement throughout the surf session. So whether you need to be pushed into the white-water to stand up, or you’re putting the finishing touches on an advanced move, we’ve got you covered.
Q: What kind of breaks will I be surfing?
A: The San Juan del Sur region has a big selection of waves to choose from. Several consistent rights and lefts breaking over soft sand, point breaks when the conditions are right and a world-class wedge if you’ve got the courage. Our experts will evaluate the swell direction, tides and wind each morning (and throughout the day), take into account your personal goals and experience, and determine where you’ll go.
Q: Can I bring my own surfboard?
A: We have a full range of short and long surfboards for you to use on the tour, but if you would like to ride your own, please feel free to bring it with you. Be sure to check the baggage policy and fees with your airline. We also provide rash guards and surf wax.
Q: Do you provide airport transfers?
A: Yes we cover your airport transfer to your villa accommodation as well as your return trip to the airport during daylight hours As you walk out of the arrivals hall, just look for a sign with your name on it. The shuttle van will drive you from the airport to your hotel in San Juan del Sur. The drive takes approximately 2 hours.
Q: Where will I be staying?
A: Your accommodation for the Gay Surf Trip will be at the beautiful Hotel Victoriano on San Juan del Sur’s beachfront. Hotel Victoriano is a historic San Juan del Sur landmark built in the early 1900s by British immigrant William Cross, using materials shipped over from England. It later became a weekend retreat for the ruling Somoza family, before being carefully restored into the 21 room Hotel Victoriano.
Nowhere has quite the sense of history. The intricate Victorian architecture, the fine wood paneling and the beautiful ocean views all play their part. Plus the fact that Mark Twain stayed at the hotel adds something extra to the proceedings. Throughout the hotel the walkways are decorated with photographs capturing San Juan del Sur’s storied past.
Q: Why choose a Gay Surf Trip with San Juan Live?
A: The Gay Surf Trip is designed to accelerate your surfing success while you enjoy being somewhere beautiful, friendly and open-minded. You can feel comfortable knowing that everyone on the trip is also a gay surfer. We’ll handle all the logistics and all the details; big and small. You take care of your surfing and we take care of the rest.
San Juan Live is co-founded by San Juan del Sur insiders, Brooke Rundle and Claudia Gonella. We’ve lived and worked in the region for over 10 years. Over that time we’ve come to understand the experiences that only San Juan del Sur can offer and we use that knowledge to create the finest trips. We’ve even published a content-packed guidebook on the region.